View our sample home inspection report
As a member of the American Society of Home Inspectors, Horizon Home Inspections follows the guidelines set forth in the ASHI Standards of Practice. Take the ASHI Virtual Home Inspection Tour now to see and hear what a professional home inspection is all about. Learn about some common problems discovered during the home inspection with the ASHI virtual home inspection tour.
A typical home inspection includes over a thousand items both inside and outside the home to give you peace of mind when making your purchase. It typically lasts 2.5 – 3 hours. If at all possible, it’s best if you can be there during the inspection. This way, we can educate you better on the defects, their implications, and how to correct them. We can also point out potential safety hazards and provide you with advice on how to maintain the home.
A complete home inspection includes a visual examination of the following;
- The exterior of the property. This includes the porches & decks, the sidewalk, driveway, siding, drainage, vegetation around the house, plumbing, and electrical sockets.
- The condition of the roof, flashing, skylights, chimney, gutters, and downspouts.
- The structure of the building, including foundation, walls, floors, ceilings, and roof.
- Types of visible insulation and thickness in the attic and foundation, and how it compares to the recommended level for this part of the country.
- The interior aspects of the home. The ceilings, floors, windows, and doors will all be checked for condition and functionality.
- All accessible outlets and switches are checked as well as the electric panel and any sub-panels.
- Plumbing at all faucets, toilets, tubs, and showers is checked. The inspection also includes the water heater, sump pump, and all accessible piping for water and gas.
- The condition of the A/C and furnace or other heating unit. Both of these are also tested and every part of the house is checked to make sure the heat and cool air reach it.
- The condition and functionality of all appliances being conveyed with the property.